As one of Canada’s leading direct-to-consumer mattress brands, MattressToDoor takes pride in crafting high quality mattresses tailored specifically for Canadian sleepers. We offer several models featuring high density foam as a key component to provide contouring comfort and pressure relief. But what exactly makes these mattresses different?
In this in-depth guide to high density foam mattresses, we’ll cover all the key details about this exceptional mattress type available exclusively from MattressToDoor.
A. What is a High Density Foam Mattress?
High density foam mattresses contain a thick, dense polyurethane foam layer to offer cradling body contouring. This high density foam, often referred to as high resilience or HR foam, has an open-cell structure that allows for airflow. The dense foam composition makes these mattresses exceptionally durable and supportive.
High density foam differs from conventional foam in both its density rating and durability:
- Density: High density foam has a density of 2.5 lbs/ft3 or higher, classifying it as a higher quality foam. The density indicates how much one cubic foot of the foam weighs. The higher the density, the more resilient and supportive the foam.
- Durability: High density foams retain their shape very well, resisting impressions to provide consistent comfort and spinal alignment over 10 years or more.
So in short, high density foam mattresses provide a contouring "hug" feel while remaining bouncy and durable for years of comfortable sleep.
B. Benefits of High Density Foam Mattresses
There are several reasons high density foam mattresses have grown in popularity as an exceptional mattress type:
- Excellent Support and Alignment: The dense foam composition offers reinforced support for healthy spine alignment. The material resists sagging and impressions extremely well.
- Pressure Relief: Body-contouring to relieve pressure points and minimize tossing and turning.
- Bounce and Responsiveness: Avoiding the "stuck" feeling of sinking too deep into the mattress.
- Durability and Longevity: Dense HR foams retain their shape for over a decade.
- Temperature Regulation: Open-cell structure allows body heat to dissipate.
- Affordability: More budget-friendly than latex or pocketed coil options.
- Ease of Movement: Facilitates changing positions without restriction.
- Noiseless: No sound disturbances for couples.
With these well-rounded advantages, a high density foam mattress delivers incredible comfort and support night after night.
C. Overview of MattressToDoor's High Density Foam Mattress Models
MattressToDoor offers Canadian sleepers several models of exceptional high density foam mattresses ranging from budget picks to indulgent upgrades:
Table: MattressToDoor's High Density Foam Mattresses
Affordable support with high density base foam
Gel-infused memory foam and high density support core
Added lumbar support layer and cooling copper gel foam
Now let's look in more depth at each outstanding high density foam mattress model available from MattressToDoor.
MattressToDoor's Exclusive High Density Foam Mattresses
Crafted in Canada using domestic and imported materials, MattressToDoor’s selection of high density foam mattresses offers exceptional comfort, support, and durability.
While each model varies slightly in materials and features, they all include a high density support core reinforced with dense, resilient polyurethane foam. By optimizing this exceptional base layer, these High Density Mattresses models deliver healthy spinal alignment and minimizing painful pressure points.
Browse our lineup below and learn what makes each MattressToDoor foam mattress uniquely comforting:
A. Sweet Sleep Affordable High Density Orthopaedic Mattress
Starting off our MattressToDoor high density foam mattress lineup, the Sweet Sleep stands out with its firm feel and entry-level affordability. As our most affordable orthopedic mattress, the Sweet Sleep prioritizes healthy support through these exceptional features:
- 3” Comfort Foam Layer: Gel-infused memory foam offers cooling and cushioning comfort.
- 5” High Density Foam Core: Provides reinforced support as a durable base layer.
- Removable Stretch Knit Cover: Zippered cover is easy to spot clean.
- Pocketed Box Spring Compatibility: Use with or without a box spring.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified Materials: Rigorously tested for safety and performance.
Made in Canada specifically to serve Canadian sleepers, the extra firm Sweet Sleep high density foam mattress delivers contouring comfort and support for all sleep positions. Its exceptional value makes comfortable, restorative sleep accessible for all budgets.
B. Alice Extra Firm Mattress
As our original high density foam mattress, the beloved Alice offers the perfect blend of cushioning comfort and reinforced support. Standout features include:
- 2” Gel Memory Foam: Provides a cool, cradling comfort layer.
- 2” Transition Foam: Allows for gradual contouring into the firm support core.
- 6” High Density Support Foam: Delivers excellent reinforcement as a durable base.
- Soft Knit Cover: Breathable fabric with foam quilt pattern stitching.
- Edge Guard Support: Fortifies mattress perimeter against impressions when sitting on the bed’s edge.
- CertiPUR-US® and OEKO-TEX® Approved: Ensures safety and quality tested materials.
Ideal for stomach and back sleepers needing extra spinal support, the extra firm feel helps the Alice mattress facilitate restful sleep all night long.
C. Alice Plus Extra Firm Mattress
Our most indulgent high density foam mattress, the Alice Plus layers exceptional cooling and support materials:
- 5” Copper Gel Infused Memory Foam: Antimicrobial properties regulate temperature.
- 5” Lumbar Support Foam: Zoned ergonomic channels relieve lower back tension.
- 1” Gel Memory Foam: Open cell structure prevents heat retention.
- 6" High Density Support Foam: Reinforced base layer for superb longevity.
- Cooling Cover: Ultra-soft bamboo viscose fabric feels exceptionally cool.
- Waterproof mattress protector: Shields against spills and stains.
With these premium upgrades, the extra firm Alice Plus high density foam mattress offers our most luxurious pressure-relieving comfort and healthy spinal support. It's an excellent pick for warm sleepers or anyone seeking tailored lower back relief.
Choosing the Best High Density Foam Mattress
With exceptional models ranging from the affordable Sweet Sleep to the indulgent Alice Plus, MattressToDoor truly offers a high density foam mattress to meet every Canadian sleeper’s needs and budget.
But how exactly do you determine which density foam mattress suits your sleep position, body type, and preference for cushioning or support? Let’s explore the key deciding factors:
A. Sleep Position And Firmness
Your go-to sleep position helps determine what level of mattress firmness facilitates healthy rest. High density foam mattresses from MattressToDoor are available in extra firm options with some variation between models:
- Sweet Sleep: Very firm, best for back and stomach sleeping.
- Alice: Extra firm, suited for back and stomach sleepers seeking light contouring.
- Alice Plus: Firmest model with added lumbar support, best for strict back sleepers.
In addition to firmness, also make note of any enhanced pressure relief offered by gel infusion or zoned construction to target tension areas. For example, the Alice Plus specifically relieves lower back discomfort.
B. Cooling Properties
High density polyurethane foam has an open-cell composition that allows for airflow and heat dissipation. Features like gel infusion or special covers further help regulate temperature for exceptionally cool comfort.
If sleeping hot is a key concern, the Alice Plus excels with a cover of bamboo-derived fabric and layers infused with cooling copper and gel components. With extra ventilation from its high density support core, even the affordable Sweet Sleep facilitates airflow.
C. Pain and Pressure Relief
The cradling contour ability of high density foam cushions the shoulders, hips, and other pressure points susceptible to tension or soreness during sleep. Models like the Sweet Sleep and Alice that integrate gel-infused memory foam intensify this targeted relief.
For soothing lower back discomfort specifically, the Alice Plus has an ergonomic lumbar layer with segmented channels to support the natural curvature of your spine. So when considering high density foam mattresses, analyze what type of cushioning works best for your common tension areas.
D. Weight Considerations
Heavier individuals require a thicker, high density foam core to sufficiently reinforce the mattress bed and resist premature sagging. That's why the MattressToDoor models outlined here all have at least 5 inches of dense supportive foam.
The reinforced edges on the Alice mattress provide added strength against impressions when heavier sleepers sit along the perimeter. And the durable 6 inch base of the Alice Plus delivers reinforced stability.
E. Mattress Types to Avoid
For sleepers needing extra support to maintain healthy spinal alignment, certain mattress types may cause back discomfort or lack pressure relief:
- Low density all-foam beds that lack reinforcement.
- Innerspring models with thin comfort foam layers.
- Ultra plush pillowtop mattresses that cause spinal misalignment.
- Basic coil mattresses with little to no cushioning.
- Excessively soft memory foam that allows too much sinkage.
Using a supportive high density foam mattress as your bed base is vital for facilitating restorative sleep.
F. When to Replace Your Mattress
While high quality high density foam mattresses like those offered by MattressToDoor are exceptionally durable, there comes a point when even the best mattresses need retirement.
Here are signs indicating your high density foam mattress requires replacing:
- Visible sagging, impressions, or asymmetry.
- Discomfort and achy pressure points upon waking.
- Reduced bounciness and responsiveness.
- Body indentations over 1” deep.
- Age over 10 years old.
Ideally, you should replace your mattress every 8-10 years as a general rule. But with heavy use, that timeframe may shorten. Budget-friendly high density foam mattress options from MattressToDoor make upgrades conveniently accessible.
Caring for Your High Density Foam Mattress
Investing in an exceptional high density foam mattress like those offered by MattressToDoor means you’ll enjoy years of comfortable rest. But getting the most out your mattress does require proper care and maintenance.
Follow these tips to break in, clean, rotate and protect your high density foam mattress:
A. Breaking In Your New Mattress
Brand new mattresses need a brief break-in period for optimal comfort and performance. Here’s how to help your body adjust to your high density foam mattress:
- Use your mattress as your regular bed for 21-30 nights to allow the materials to soften slightly.
- Rotate the mattress monthly during the break-in period.
- Add a mattress protector to shield from body oils and spills as you adjust to the new surface.
With regular rotation and protection during the first month, you’ll enjoy many years of restful sleep ahead.
B. Mattress Protection
Safeguarding your mattress with a waterproof mattress protector or an allergen-blocking encasement preserves hygiene and prevents voiding warranties related to stains or damage.
Mattress protectors act as a shield between your mattress and bodily fluids, skin cells, allergy triggers, or spills that can compromise the materials and shorten the usable lifespan. Models with cooling properties can also help regulate temperature.
C. Cleaning and Maintenance
High density polyurethane foam requires special care when cleaning to avoid saturating the interior foam structure:
- Spot clean stains with a mild detergent and small amount of water applied to a soft cloth.
- For more stubborn stains, use an enzyme-based foam cleaner specifically designed for mattresses. Test on a small area first.
- Avoid harsh chemicals like hydrogen peroxide that may discolor fabric or foam.
- Always fully air dry your mattress before remaking the bed.
A mattress protector also helps minimize the need for intensive cleaning of the mattress itself.
D. Mattress Rotation
Rotating your high density foam mattress head-to-toe every 2-3 months maximizes comfort and support in high-use areas:
Mattress Rotation Steps:
- Move the mattress off the bed frame completely.
- Turn the mattress 180 degrees so the head and foot sections swap places.
- Replace the mattress on the frame with the rotated orientation.
- Rotate your box spring as well if using one.
E. Transporting Your Mattress
When moving homes, transport high density foam mattresses with care to avoid rips, stains, or damage:
- Stand the mattress upright rather than carrying flat to more easily maneuver through doorways.
- Use a mattress strap to keep the bed compressed and stable when stood upright.
- Protect the mattress with cardboard corner shields and furniture pads during the move.
- Store in a clean, dry area away from moisture and extreme temperatures when in storage or transit.
F. Recycling and Disposal
When the time comes to replace your well-loved high density foam mattress, reuse, recycle and dispose of materials responsibly.
- Donate usable mattresses to charities like homeless shelters.
- Verify options for materials recycling facilities in your municipality. Foam and fabrics may be accepted.
- If available, utilize mattress removal services by brands like MattressToDoor when purchasing your replacement. Retailers may also offer trade-in and haul away services.
- Review waste management regulations in your area regarding mattresses if no recycling options are accessible.
Additional Sleep Accessories
Complement your high-performance high density foam mattress with these recommended sleep essentials for your best night's rest:
Supportive pillows maintain healthy spinal alignment and provide cool comfort. We suggest MattressToDoor's selection of:
Shredded Memory Foam Pillows: Customizable fill allows you to remove or add foam to suit your perfect loft and shape.
Alternative Down Pillows: Hypoallergenic polyester microfiber fill offers cozy, allergen-free softness.
Pillows and mattresses work together to properly elevate your head, neck and shoulders. So refresh your pillows about every 1-2 years.
B. Sheet Sets
Bamboo Sheets: Made from sustainable bamboo viscose for an exceptionally soft and breathable feel.
Microfiber Sheets: Lightweight, durable and wrinkle-resistant. Budget-friendly option.
High quality sheets can last 5+ years with proper care. Wash regularly and replace ones with excessive pilling, fading or tears.
FAQs about High Density Foam Mattresses
If you’re in the market for an exceptional high density foam mattress, chances are you still have a few key questions. Here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions by customers considering this outstanding mattress variety:
- Do high density foam mattresses sleep hot?
- How long will a high density foam mattress last?
- Can you put a high density foam mattress directly on a floor or platform bed?
- Are high density foam mattresses good for side sleepers?
- What type of box spring should you use with a high density foam mattress?
Let's explore the answers to each of these common queries that shoppers have about high density foam mattress models like those offered by MattressToDoor:
Q1: Do high density foam mattresses sleep hot?
High density polyurethane foam actually has an open-cell composition that allows for increased airflow to regulate temperature. Additional features like gel infusion or special covers and protectors can also help move heat away from the body. So quality high density foam mattresses like MattressToDoor's exceptionally breathable offerings do not cause sleeping hot like outdated all-foam beds did in the past.
Q2: How long will a high density foam mattress last?
The high-quality dense foams used in these mattresses retain their shape and performance for over a decade, outlasting other foam, latex and innerspring options. With quality protective covers, regular cleaning and rotation, you can expect a high density foam mattress to deliver comfortable rest for 10-12 years or more. The affordability of MattressToDoor high density foam mattresses makes upgrades conveniently accessible when the time eventually comes.
Q3: Can you put a high density foam mattress directly on a floor or platform bed?
Yes, high density foam mattresses do not require a box spring. The dense supportive core provides ample reinforcement so the beds can be placed directly onto slat frames, adjustable bases, platform beds or hard, flat floors if needed.
Q4: Are high density foam mattresses good for side sleepers?
The cradling pressure relief of high density foam does cushion hips and shoulders prone to tension when side sleeping. However, most high density foam mattresses like those offered by MattressToDoor use an exceptionally dense, reinforced core that prioritizes healthy alignment for back sleepers, with ample support from head to toe. For side sleepers who enjoy some contouring around curves but still require robust support, a high density foam mattress can be an excellent fit. More indulgently plush all-foam, latex or pillowtop innerspring beds may be preferable for side sleepers wanting maximized pressure point cushioning.
Q5: What type of box spring should you use with a high density foam mattress?
Quality high density foam mattresses do not require a box spring at all. The durable supportive core offers ample reinforcement without the need for additional elevation or structure. If desired for aesthetic purposes or to reach a preferred bed height, look for low-profile box springs specifically designed for use with foam mattresses. An adjustable base also pairs well if elevation or ergonomics are priorities. Slatted bed frames or flat, solid platforms offer perfectly compatible foundations for properly supporting high density foam mattresses directly.
Additional MattressToDoor Blog Resources
Hopefully this guide offered ample education on the outstanding performance of high density foam mattresses like those crafted by MattressToDoor to meet Canadian sleepers' needs. Want to learn more about finding your perfect sleep system?
Browse through MattressToDoor's comprehensive suite of modern sleep health blogs:
- Mattress Size and Bed Dimensions Guide
- Hybrid vs Memory Foam Mattress Comparison
- How to Choose the Best Mattress for Back Pain
- Box Spring Guide - Do You Need One?
- How Long Do Mattresses Last?
Peruse our wide selection of modern sleep health articles to make the most informed decision when searching for your perfect sleep sanctuary.
We hope this guide offered a comprehensive overview explaining the unique advantages of high density foam mattresses. Crafted using exceptional materials specifically tested and selected to promote proper spinal alignment and pressure relief, high density polyurethane foam offers outstanding conforming comfort night after night.
A. Best Uses of High Density Foam Mattresses
With cushioning contouring ability paired with reinforced, bouncy support, high density foam mattresses like those offered by MattressToDoor are exceptionally well-suited for any sleeper needing extra reinforcement to maintain healthy posture throughout the night.
B. Shopping Considerations
When selecting your ideal high density foam mattress, factor in your preferred sleep position, weight, any discomfort needing relief, and your needs for responsiveness or conforming hugs. Cooling properties may also be a priority. Identify the firmness, density rating, Layer quality and protection policies that best meet your rest requirements.
C. Caring for Your Mattress
Protect high density foam mattresses from moisture, heat and compression. Spot clean gently with mild detergent. Allow to fully air dry. Rotate head-to-toe every few months to maximize durability and evenly distribute body impressions.
D. Additional Bedding Accessories
Reinforce your sleep system with compatible temperature regulating covers, pressure relieving pillows and cozy sheet sets fitting your new mattress model’s unique dimensions.
E. MattressToDoor's Selection
MattressToDoor offers outstanding high density foam mattresses tailored for Canadian sleepers across all budgets. Peruse our quality brands and innovative designs to find the ideal blend of cool comfort and healthy support facilitating your best night’s sleep.