A comfortable mattress that provides restful sleep is one of the best investments you can make for your health and well-being. With the average mattress lifespan being 8 to 10 years, you'll want to take good care of your mattress so it lasts. An important part of mattress care and maintenance is using a mattress protector. But what exactly is a mattress protector and why does your mattress need one? Let's take a look.
A mattress protector is a removable layer of bedding that completely encases your mattress like a fitted sheet. It creates a barrier between you and the mattress to protect the sleep surface from a range of contaminants. Mattress protectors keep your mattress clean, hygienic, and damage-free for a healthier sleep environment.
There are many types of mattress protectors available to suit different needs. Key types include waterproof, cooling, hypoallergenic, and organic mattress protectors. Premium mattress protectors are designed using innovative fabrics and technologies for optimal protection, comfort, and convenience. Let's explore the details of what a mattress protector is.
What is a Mattress Protector?
Mattress Protector Definition
A mattress protector is a removable cover that fully encases a mattress similar to a fitted sheet. It protects the mattress from spills, stains, dust mites, allergens, bed bugs, and damage. Mattress protectors create a barrier between you and the mattress to promote cleanliness, hygiene, and longevity.
- Fully encases mattress like a fitted sheet
- Waterproof and stain-resistant
- Creates protective barrier around mattress
- Designed to be removable and washable
- Available in sizes to fit every mattress - twin, full, queen, king
- Made from durable fabrics like cotton, polyester, bamboo
- Advanced protectors have cooling, hypoallergenic, antimicrobial properties
Protects against spills, fluids, incontinence
Regulates temperature for cool sleep
Prevents dust mites, mold, pollen
Eco-friendly materials like bamboo, cotton
Fully wraps mattress to protect from bed bugs
Adds soft quilted layer for comfort
How Mattress Protectors Work
Mattress protectors work by fully surrounding your mattress in a durable, protective barrier material. Many feature an inner waterproof membrane made of materials like vinyl or polyurethane to block moisture and spills. This waterproof backing may have a terry cotton or polyester top layer for comfort.
The snug fitted sheet style ensures the protector stays securely in place on the mattress. It protects all six sides - top, bottom and sides. Some protectors have zippered encasement to fully seal the mattress.
Advanced mattress protectors use innovative fabrics like breathable Tencel® to wick moisture and regulate temperature. Some are treated with SILPURE antimicrobial technology to inhibit bacteria and odor.
Mattress Protector vs. Mattress Cover
A mattress cover loosely covers the top of a mattress to protect it from dust and debris. A mattress protector fully encases the mattress and has protective barriers against spills, allergens, bed bugs, etc.
Mattress protectors are designed to be removable for washing, while mattress covers aren't intended for removal. So mattress protectors play a bigger role in mattress hygiene and care.
Benefits of Using a Mattress Protector
- Protects mattress from spills, stains, fluids, incontinence
- Creates allergen barrier against dust mites, pollen, pet dander
- Prevents bed bug and pest infestations
- Keeps mattress free of dead skin cells, body oils, sweat
- Allows easy mattress cleaning and maintenance
- Extends mattress lifespan by preventing premature damage
- May support mattress warranty claims
- Promotes better sleep hygiene and health
So in summary, a mattress protector is a removable, encasing layer designed to protect your mattress. It promotes cleanliness, hygiene and longevity for a more comfortable, refreshing sleep environment. Investing in a high-quality mattress protector helps safeguard your mattress against damage and allergens.
At Mattress To Door, we offer a range of mattress protectors to keep your mattress clean and damage-free. Check out our selection of premium mattress protectors including waterproof and breathable protectors to find the right match for your mattress.
Why You Need a Mattress Protector
Now that you know what a mattress protector is, let's look at why it's so important to use one. There are many compelling reasons to invest in a high-quality mattress protector for your bed.
Protect Against Spills and Stains
Life happens - spills and accidents are inevitable. Food, drinks, oils, lotions, makeup, urine, perspiration, etc. can quickly stain or damage a mattress if spilled directly on it. A waterproof mattress protector creates a barrier that keeps liquids from seeping into the mattress itself.
Mattress protectors safeguard your investment against pesky stains that are difficult to remove. It's much easier to wash removable mattress protectors as needed instead of trying to clean the entire mattress.
Dust mites, mold spores, pollen and pet dander are common allergens that can collect in your mattress. Protectors that are hypoallergenic and antimicrobial block allergens and prevent bacteria buildup. This helps reduce allergy symptoms for a better night's sleep.
Mattress protectors also trap dead skin cells, body oils and sweat that would otherwise sink into the mattress. This improves mattress hygiene.
Extend Mattress Longevity
Mattress protectors prevent premature mattress breakdown and damage in several ways:
- Protects against stains from spills, incontinence, etc.
- Reduces indentation from body pressure points
- Avoids dust mite and pest damage
- Reduces exposure to sweat, oils and grime
By keeping your mattress clean and well-maintained, a protector can extend the mattress lifespan by years. This improves your return on investment.
Easy Cleaning and Maintenance
Mattress protectors allow you to easily clean and care for your mattress:
- Wipe spills right off the surface
- Remove and machine wash the protector
- Use sanitizing sprays or steam clean without worry
- Vacuum the mattress through the protector
Regular washing also removes dead skin cells, bacteria and microbes that accumulate. This improves mattress hygiene and air quality.
Most mattress warranties require using a suitable mattress protector to validate claims. Protectors shield against stains, damage and indentations that could void the warranty.
Be sure to check your mattress warranty documentation for any mattress protector requirements. Using one provides an extra layer of warranty protection.
Improved Sleep Health
Mattress protectors promote a clean, hygienic sleep environment free of allergens, skin cells, pests, and microbes. This allows you to breathe easier and sleep better on a kept mattress. A high-quality mattress protector supports healthy, restorative sleep.
Types of Mattress Protectors
There are different types of mattress protectors designed for various needs. Let's look at the most common varieties and their key benefits:
Waterproof membrane of vinyl, polyurethane, etc.
Protects against fluids, spills, incontinence
Advanced fabrics like Outlast® to regulate temperature
Keeps sleepers cool; great for hot sleepers
Allergen barrier against dust mites, mold, pollen
Reduces allergies; ideal for sensitive sleepers
Made from organic cotton, bamboo, wool
Eco-friendly; reduces chemicals
Fully zips around mattress
Protects from bed bugs; great for allergies
Quilted layer attached to protector
Extra comfort and softness
Let's look closely at the most popular types:
Waterproof Mattress Protectors
Waterproof mattress protectors are a must to protect your mattress investment. They feature an inner waterproof membrane that blocks spills, fluids, incontinence, etc. from penetrating the mattress:
- Made of vinyl, polyurethane or other waterproof materials
- May have terry cotton or other fabric top layer
- Completely blocks moisture and liquids
- Just wipe surface clean; protector is washable
Great for kids, elderly, pets, incontinence, and anyone prone to spills. Popular options like our Health Comfort Waterproof Terry Protector offer full-proof protection.
Cooling Mattress Protectors
For those who sleep hot, cooling mattress protectors regulate temperature so you stay comfy all night. Key features include:
- Made from advanced heat-releasing fabrics like Outlast®
- Moisture-wicking and breathable materials
- Allows air to flow to keep surface cool
- Some have cooling gels for temperature regulation
- Maintains comfortable body temperature
Our Health Comfort Cooling Protector with Outlast® fabric is an excellent choice for preventing overheating.
Hypoallergenic Mattress Protectors
Hypoallergenic protectors safeguard against dust mites, mold, pollen and pet dander. Key features:
- Very fine, breathable fabric weave
- Forms allergen barrier to block particles
- Reduces dust mites and microbial growth
- Many have anti-microbial treatments
- Provides relief from allergies and asthma
Sleep soundly with hypoallergenic protection from our Health Comfort Bamboo Protector.
So in summary, the type of mattress protector you choose depends on your specific needs and preferences. Be sure to select the right properties for optimal mattress protection. At Mattress To Door, we offer a wide selection of mattress protectors to keep your mattress in tip-top shape.
Choosing the Right Mattress Protector
With so many types of mattress protectors available, how do you choose the right one? Here are key factors to consider:
1. Identify Your Needs
First, think about why you need a mattress protector and what functions are most important:
Waterproofing - Do you need to protect against fluids and spills from kids, pets, incontinence, etc? Waterproof protectors are must-haves for complete protection.
Cooling - If you sleep hot, focus on finding a protector with cooling fabrics and technologies like Outlast® to maintain a comfortable temperature.
Allergies - Seek out hypoallergenic protectors that form a barrier against dust mites, pollen, pet dander, etc. to allow better breathing.
Softness - Quilted mattress pads add plush comfort and softness on top of a protector. Great for older mattresses or firm beds.
Bed bugs - Fully encasing protectors that zip around the whole mattress help protect against bed bug infestations.
2. Select Materials Wisely
Be sure to check the materials and fabric of potential mattress protectors:
Cotton, polyester - Breathable fabrics that feel soft and cozy against skin. Cotton offers moisture-wicking
Vinyl, PVC, polyurethane - Waterproof materials that block liquids from penetrating the mattress. Vinyl is flexible.
Tencel® - A soft, eco-friendly fabric made from wood pulp that regulates heat very well. Ideal for hot sleepers.
Bamboo - Breathable, thermoregulating and hypoallergenic. Bamboo viscose or rayon has silky softness.
Wool - Natural material with cooling properties to regulate temperature. Provides allergy relief too.
3. Get the Correct Size
Be sure to choose the right mattress protector size to properly fit your bed:
- Twin, Twin XL
- Full, Double
- King, California King
- Custom sizes - For RV mattresses, cribs, adjustable beds, etc.
Measure your mattress height, length and width to ensure a snug, secure fit without sagging or shifting.
4. Check Key Properties
Scan the full product details and highlights to confirm the protector has the right properties for your needs:
- Hypoallergenic - Dust mite and allergen barrier
- Waterproof rating - Measures ability to block liquids
- Noiseless - No crinkling or plastic sounds
- Antimicrobial - Prevents bacterial growth and odors
- Mold, mildew, bacteria resistant
- Food-safe materials- No chemicals or toxins
5. Compare Brands and Prices
Take time to compare different mattress protector brands and models in your budget. Look at:
- Quality of materials - Soft, durable fabrics that last
- Special technologies - Outlast®, Tencel®, SILPURE, etc.
- Performance features - Cooling, waterproofing, allergy protection
- Warranty - Indicates durability and manufacturer faith
- Consumer reviews - Read feedback from real customers
- Price - Consider both affordability and value
Quality varies, so invest in the best protector you can afford for the highest performance and longevity.
Caring for Your Mattress Protector
Taking proper care of your mattress protector helps keep it clean, fresh and functioning at its best. Follow these mattress protector care tips:
1. Wash Regularly
Check manufacturer instructions for recommended wash cycles and water temperatures. Most protectors can be machine washed and tumble dried.
Wash every 2-3 months at minimum, or more frequently if soiled. Use a mild, fragrance-free detergent. Vinegar helps remove odors.
Spot clean as needed in between washes. Use an enzyme-based cleaner to target stains or dirt buildup.
2. Add a Mattress Pad or Topper for Softness
While protectors safeguard your mattress, they can sometimes feel a bit rough or plastic-like. Adding a quilted mattress pad or plush mattress topper on top provides extra cushioning and softness against your skin.
Mattress pads attach securely around the corners. Mattress toppers simply lay on top. Both enhance the comfort of a protector.
3. Check Condition
Inspect your mattress protector periodically for any signs of wear or damage including:
- Holes, tears, cracks or thinning fabric
- Broken or stretched elastic
- Leaking, moisture penetration
- Shrinking, improper fit
- Broken zippers on encasement styles
At the first sign of deterioration, replace your mattress protector to keep your mattress safe. An old, damaged protector compromises the protection.
4. Store Properly
When not in use or being washed, store your mattress protector flat to prevent creasing and damage. Do not fold or bunch it.
You can place it under the mattress, under the bed, or in a shelf or drawer. Avoid direct sunlight and excessive heat.
Proper mattress protector care helps maintain its performance and extends usage so you get your money's worth.
Why Choose Mattress To Door?
Mattress To Door offers a wide selection of top-quality mattress protectors to meet varying needs and budgets. Here's why you should choose us for your perfect mattress protector:
We source durable, high-performance materials to craft our protectors including:
- 100% organic cotton - Breathable and hypoallergenic
- Soft Tencel® fabric - Ultra-breathable and cooling
- Vinyl and polyurethane - For reliable waterproof protection
- Quilted mattress pads - Plush, pillow-top comfort
We offer specialty protectors tailored for your needs:
- Bamboo protectors - Super soft, cooling, eco-friendly
- Waterproof terry protectors - Absorbent cotton terry with vinyl backing
- Encasement style - Fully zippered to shield from bed bugs
- Cooling Outlast® protectors - Heat-releasing for cool sleep
We proudly manufacture our mattress protectors right here in Canada, ensuring stringent quality control.
All our protectors come with a 10-year warranty and 90-night risk-free trial. Purchase with confidence and peace of mind.
We offer free, fast shipping across Canada right to your door. No hidden fees or duties.
Check out our full selection of mattress protectors to find your perfect match! Our knowledgeable team is also here to offer guidance and advice.
Invest in the right mattress protector and safeguard your mattress for a clean, comfortable, worry-free sleep environment. Mattress To Door has you covered.
To summarize, a mattress protector is an essential part of mattress care and maintenance. It is a removable layer that fully encases your mattress and creates a barrier against spills, stains, allergens, pests, and damage.
There are many types of mattress protectors available to suit different needs:
- Waterproof protectors shield against fluids and spills
- Cooling protectors regulate temperature for hot sleepers
- Hypoallergenic protectors prevent dust mites and allergens
- Organic protectors use eco-friendly materials
- Encasements fully seal mattress from bed bugs
- Pads provide extra cushioning and softness
High-quality mattress protectors are designed from innovative, durable materials and fabrics that provide the perfect blend of protection and comfort.
Mattress protectors deliver many important benefits:
- Protect mattress from spills, stains and damage
- Extend mattress lifespan by preventing premature wear
- Create allergen barrier for better breathing
- Allow easy cleaning and maintenance
- Support mattress warranty
- Promote better sleep health and hygiene
When selecting a mattress protector, carefully assess your specific needs and research the best options to suit those needs. Focus on performance features, materials, sizes, and overall quality and value. Read reviews and product details closely.
Be sure to properly care for your mattress protector by washing regularly, checking condition, and storing flat. Add a mattress pad or topper if you want extra plush softness.
At Mattress To Door, we offer a wide selection of mattress protectors to meet all preferences and budgets. Our protectors are proudly Canadian-made with stringent quality control.
We recommend using a mattress protector right from day one when purchasing a new mattress. A quality mattress is a big investment - protect it properly right from the start. A mattress protector allows you to sleep easy knowing your mattress will stay clean, damage-free and comfortable for many years.
Visit Mattress To Door today and find the perfect mattress protector to safeguard your mattress. We provide premium protectors, free shipping, a 90-night trial, and excellent customer service. Invest in restful sleep with a quality mattress and mattress protector from Mattress To Door.