Moving a mattress can be a difficult and stressful task. A mattress is large, heavy, and awkward to maneuver. However, with some preparation and the right techniques, you can move a mattress efficiently and safely. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the entire process of moving a mattress, from measuring and packing to loading and transporting. Follow these tips for a smooth mattress move.
Prepare for Moving a Mattress
Before moving day, you'll need to get your mattress ready for transport. Start by taking measurements and gathering supplies:
Measure mattress dimensions - Note the length, width, height, and weight of your mattress. This will determine the best way to move it. Measure to ensure it will fit through doorways and stairwells along your route.
Gather supplies - Have on hand a mattress bag, furniture dolly or hand truck, and moving straps or tie downs. You may also need cardboard or plastic sheets to slide the mattress. Also gather gloves, padding, tape, and labels.
Remove bed frame - Take apart the bed frame and remove the box spring if attached to your mattress. This makes the mattress lighter and more flexible.
Check for clearance - Ensure doorways, stairs, elevators, and vehicle cargo space can accommodate the mattress size. Measure mattress and route dimensions.
Plan travel route - Map out the best route to move the mattress out of your home and into the vehicle or moving truck. Choose the simplest route that avoids tight turns or stairs when possible.
Schedule movers - If using professional movers, book them at least 2 weeks in advance. Provide mattress dimensions so they bring proper equipment.
Mattress To Door offers complete scheduled moving services. Our experienced team will safely transport your mattress using specialized techniques and equipment.
Techniques for Move your Mattress
There are several different techniques you can use to move a mattress depending on its size, type, and weight and your moving resources:
Roll Up and Carry
For some lightweight foam and spring mattresses, you may be able to roll or fold the mattress up tightly and carry it yourself. This works best for smaller mattresses.
- Stand the mattress upright on its side.
- Roll it up tightly from end to end.
- Pick up the rolled mattress and carry with a friend or use straps to help.
- This allows you to fit it through tight spaces.
Bend and Curve
Some flexible mattress types like latex can bend around corners during transport:
- Lift up ends of the mattress to bend into a U-shape.
- Twist gently to maneuver the mattress around narrow hallways and doorways.
- Take care not to over-bend the mattress which can damage it.
Use a Dolly or Hand Truck
A wheeled dolly makes moving a mattress much easier. Place the mattress on the dolly and strap or tie it down securely.
- Stand the mattress upright and lean against the dolly.
- Slowly tilt back to flatten on the dolly surface.
- Strap over the mattress or tie to the dolly frame.
- Wheel the mattress to the moving vehicle or truck.
Transport Upright or on Side
In a moving truck you can slide a mattress in upright or carry it flat on its side:
- For upright, lean the mattress standing on end against the wall.
- To lay flat, lift mattress on side and place gently down.
- Avoid bending or folding a mattress which can damage it.
Lift to Roof
For vehicles with roof racks, the mattress can be lifted and strapped securely to the roof:
- Use straps around the mattress and through the car doors if needed.
- Lift mattress straight up and slide onto roof rack.
- Tie straps through rack and around mattress frame.
- Secure front and back of mattress to rack bars.
Moving a Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam mattresses require some extra precautions when moving:
- Do not bend, fold or flex the memory foam mattress as this can damage it.
- Carry the mattress upright or use a dolly to move it.
- Use a mattress bag specifically sized for memory foam.
- Open windows when transporting to air out the mattress and avoid odors.
The experts at Mattress To Door recommend:
- Stand memory foam mattress upright and transport on a dolly
- Use two people and move slowly around corners
- Never fold or roll memory foam
Moving a Mattress Without Help
While challenging, it is possible to move a mattress by yourself in a few straightforward steps:
- Use moving straps to grip the mattress ends and help carry.
- Carefully tilt and stand mattress on side to maneuver around corners.
- Push mattress up stairs on its side, turning as needed.
- Take frequent breaks to avoid back strain and injury.
- Use tools like a dolly, hand truck, or specialty straps to assist.
Mattress To Door's tips for moving a mattress alone:
- Use furniture sliders under the mattress.
- Move slowly and deliberately.
- Wear gloves and shoes with traction.
- Ask a friend to help carry the mattress into the vehicle.
Storing a Mattress When Moving
When placing a mattress into storage during a move, proper care is essential:
- Stand the mattress upright against a wall or lay it flat on a surface.
- Use a mattress bag or cover to protect from moisture, dust, and pests.
- Avoid direct sunlight which can damage the mattress materials.
- For foam mattresses, rotate or flip periodically to prevent impressions.
The storage experts at Mattress To Door recommend:
- Storing mattress flat on a platform bed frame
- Using moisture-resistant mattress cover
- Placing desiccant bags inside mattress cover
- Checking monthly for moisture and damage
Safely secure the mattress for Transport
Properly securing your mattress is vital for safe transport:
- Use high-quality moving straps to tie down the mattress on your vehicle roof or truck bed.
- Place padding beneath the straps to prevent damage.
- Check straps are tight over and around the mattress with no slack.
- Drive slowly and take wide turns to reduce shifting.
- Ask the professionals at Mattress To Door for advice on securing odd-sized mattresses.
Mattress To Door's mattress securement tips:
- Use thick nylon straps with 10,000 lb capacity
- Run straps through car doors when tying to roof
- Attach straps to solid frame points in truck beds
- Ensure mattress cannot slide or lift off supports
Where to Buy Mattress Moving Supplies
Some key supplies for moving a mattress include:
Mattress bags - Available at moving supply stores or purchased online. Look for durable, thick material with handles. Avoid thin plastic bags.
Furniture dollies - Useful hand trucks and dollies can be found at hardware and home improvement stores. Select according to mattress size and weight capacity.
Moving straps - Specialty moving straps with handles can be purchased from moving supply companies. These make carrying mattresses much easier.
Mattress To Door - Our Canada-wide mattress retailer offers a full range of mattress moving supplies:
- Mattress bags in all standard mattress sizes
- Furniture sliders to easily move mattresses
- Shoulder straps for carrying mattresses
- Foam mattress protectors
- Box spring covers
- Labels and tape
Contact Mattress To Door for Assistance
For reliable mattress moving help, contact the experts at Mattress To Door:
Schedule full-service mattress moving and installation. Our team transports and sets up your mattress professionally.
Get advice from our customer service team on proper mattress moving and care. We have years of industry experience to share.
Visit our showrooms in Brampton, London, Hamilton, and Scarborough to pick up supplies or schedule moving help.
Call (647)-530-9100 or visit MattressToDoor.ca to get started with your mattress move!
With the right preparations and techniques, moving a mattress doesn't have to be a strain. Use this comprehensive guide to move your mattress safely and easily. Reach out to the experts at Mattress To Door for reliable moving assistance tailored to your specific needs.